1/28/2017

The plane ride of a lifetime

Airplane view of the sky. Photographer: Andrew Neel

As you read this, I am 40,000 feet up in the air. Flying away from the only place I've ever called home. I'm leaving behind the people I've ever called my friends, people I used to call family, and my two stubborn-head brothers. I'm flying to a new life, a new home, a new year.

This all started six years ago, when my mom left on an airplane just like the one I'm on right now. Heading to a place with a man she was destined to fall in love with, little did she know this choice would not only change her entire world but it would also change two whole families for the better.
She came back from that trip with determination, to get out of her love-less marriage, to stand up to man who had bullied her, to battle for children, and to live a life with the man she loves.
From that day onward, she has always told us, one day I'm going to move to Washington and live with this man, I hope you'll all come with me. Who knew that day would come so soon?

I remember being thirteen-years old, with the dreams of me and my mom going to live in England so that I could go to Oxford University. It's crazy how much my life has changed, I'm now going my all to live my dream of singing.

I'm flying to not only a new home, but a new life, a new house, a new job with new people, friends, and family. When you leave the only place you've ever called home, it's scary, I'll admit but it also liberating, I can't even imagine what adventures are waiting for me on the other side of this plane ride.

With this move, not only does it being a whole new element to my life, people, new family, new home, and new temperatures, but also new opportunities! I have such high hopes for Washington State and I'm going to work so hard to make this new year an amazing and memorable one. The one goal I have for myself is, no more being afraid, making excuses, or letting fears take over. It's our time to not be afraid, get out and give it your all.

We can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment